Previous Visa
Non-Immigrant Student Visas
(F-1 and M-1 Visas)
Next Visa

The US government provides an unlimited number of student visas to full-time academic or language students (F-1 visas) and full-time vocational or nonacademic students (M-1 visas) pursuing course work leading to a degree or certificate.

Length of Visa: for the length of the program. M-1 visas have a maximum limit of one year.

Quotas: none

Visa Extensions: as necessary for completion of studies

Accompanying relatives of F-1 and M-1 visa holders are eligible for visas. They may stay in the U.S. but not work there.

In order to qualify you must:

(1) be enrolling full-time in a US accredited school leading to an educational or vocational degree

(2) demonstrate a working knowledge of English sufficient to engage in English-only classes

(3) show evidence of sufficient monetary resources to study full-time without working

(4) intend to return home upon completion of your studies

!ALERT: New restrictions on visitors applying for student visas will soon take effect under forthcoming INS regulations. The new rules will prohibit non-immigrants admitted in B visitor status from changing to student status unless they state an intention to study at the time of admission.



Accompanying Relative:
The spouse or child under the age of 21 of the holder of an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, who is accompanying them to the US