Apply for a Student Visa (F1 and M1 Visas)

The US government provides an unlimited number of student visas to full-time academic or language students (F1 visas) and full-time vocational or nonacademic students (M1 visas) pursuing course work leading to a degree or certificate.

Length of Student Visa: for the length of the program. M1 visas have a maximum limit of one year.

Quotas: none

Visa Extensions: as necessary for completion of studies

Accompanying relatives of student visa holders are eligible for visas. They may stay in the U.S. but not work there.

In order to qualify for a student visa you must:

(1) be enrolling full-time in a US accredited school leading to an educational or vocational degree

(2) demonstrate a working knowledge of English sufficient to engage in English-only classes

(3) show evidence of sufficient monetary resources to study full-time without working

(4) intend to return home upon completion of your studies

!ALERT: New restrictions on visitors applying for student visas prohibit non-immigrants admitted in B visitor status from changing to student status unless they state an intention to study at the time of admission.



Accompanying Relative:
The spouse or child under the age of 21 of the holder of an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, who is accompanying them to the US





Immigration Updates

The International Student Visa
Process in a 9/11 World

US Department of State
foreign press briefing